Playa Shifts are a great way to get involved in the community. There are two important types of shifts you can schedule using our 2019 RL::BT Playa Shift Scheduler:
Guardianship (shift=2 hours)
- Fire Guardian: One of the most important offerings in camp, the Fire Guardians tend to the Sacred Fire of the camp to ensure safety for those providing prayers and that the Sacred (heart) Fire of our camp never burns out. There will be wood and gloves provided as needed.
- Water Guardian: All day long, Red Lightning :: Blue Thunder provides stimulating talks, wisdom sharing and sound activations for all of Burning Man to come and enjoy. Water Guardians will be asked to remain present among all the community and programed spaces at camp, and offer support whenever it is needed. This includes:
- Checking to make sure the Audio/Visual team has what they need (water, care, assistance with set-up)
- Familiarizing yourself with the programming happening during your shift and checking in with the presenters to ensure they have what they need.
- Checking to make sure the Camp Showers are not being "over-used" but those enjoying the clean waters.
- Checking to make sure the Vitalized Water Spring is not leaking and that those obtaining water are being mindful.
- Answering questions from the greater playa community about the camp and where to get more information (on programming, joining, our ethos, etc.)
Kitchen Support (shift=3 hours)
- Brunch Support: Helping with meal prep, serving and dishes for the camp during Brunch.
- Dinner Support: Helping with meal prep, serving and dishes for the camp during Dinner.
By joining Red Lightning :: Blue Thunder, we ask that you agree to complete at least two or more Playa Shifts during Burn Week. Per our agreement with the Chef Gage, at least 1 Playa Shift must be with the Kitchen.
For those who have joined the Guardianship Team to offer 10 hours of guardianship on playa, we ask that you sign up for 5 of these 2-hour guardian shifts and still complete one 3-hour kitchen shift.